Renewed: Jul 20, 2015
Ainokura Gassho Zukuri Best Photography Spot
The Shirakawa-go and neighboring Gokayama regions line the Shokawa River Valley in the remote mountains that span from Gifu to Toyama Prefectures. Declared a UNESCO world heritage site in 1995, they are famous for its traditional farmhouses with thatched roofs, some of which are more than 250 years old.
Gokayama is a little more difficult to access and requires a change of buses in Ogimachi. Less developed and less crowded than Shirakawa-go, its villages are smaller, more intimate and with less intrusion from modern buildings.
Gokayama’s nicest villages are Suganuma and Ainokura.
Today, we would like to introduce Ainokura.
No 1. Ainokura Observation Deck
From the observation deck, 10-mitute-walk from the parking, you can see a panoramic view of the Gassho village.
The tree of the foreground has some flowers and autumn leaves, so we recommend you taking a picture with them.
- Go up a hill next to the parking and walk for 10 minutes. You had better wear a pair of sneakers because of the unpaved road.
- ・You can zoom out to take a picture with Mt.Hakusan over the village.
- ・We recommend you taking a picture with the tree of the foreground so as to feel seasons.
No 2. Terraced Rice Fields Beside Minshuku Choyomon
Go through the straight road in front of the parking. When reaching at the first branch road, look back.
You can take a picture of Gassho Zukuri, terraced rice field and wildflowers.
You can enjoy seasonal view here such as upside down Gassho Zukuri, gold ear of rice and snow.
- Go through the straight road in front of the parking. When reaching at the first branch road, look back.
- ・Before rice-planting, you can see the upside down Gassho Zukuri reflected on the water.
- ・We recommend you taking a picture with the wildflowers and Japanese pampas grass so as to feel seasons.
No 3. The View in Front of the Monument for the World Heritage
The place of the monument for the world heritage, outside the parking, is the best photography spot to take a picture of the upside down Gassho Zukuri. You can see several Gassho houses are reflecting in one rice field and the beautiful mountains over there.
- It is beside the parking and got to the front of the monument for the World Heritage toward the rice field.
- ・If you turn a camera on the Gassho house, you can take a picture of the upside down one.
- ・The picture will be more wonderful with the mountains of the background.
How was the 3 best photography spots?
Gokayama is less developed than Shirakawago, so you can see the Japanese original scenery.
Ainokura Gassho Zukuri
|Access||Addess: Ainokura Nanto-city, Toyama Pref.
60-minute-drive from Takayama
National Route 158 - Hietsukyo Gassho Line (National Route 156)
*30-minute-drive from Shirakawago
(Takayama Green Hotel – National Route 158 – Tokai Hokuriku Expressway)
|Parking||8:30am to 5:00pm
Car 500 yen, Bike 100 yen